Thursday, September 22, 2005

My job in Macau is officially a "Relationship Builder". In order to build a relationship with someone, you have to be willing to both give and receive. When I say give, I am referring to giving of one's self, of allowing people to see the real person. I have recently become aware of a difference in how I give and in how some of my new friends give.

Today, I was having lunch with a student that I have become close to over the past couple of weeks. As she is a Christian, I began to ask her for some advice on ways to present the Bible to low-level English speakers so that they would be better able to understand it. As a way to help me understand more of how the Chinese view things she told me the story of how she became a Christian. She began describing her past and the hurt and unforgiveness that she carried around and how through these things she was able to see her need to forgive and also to be forgiven. She was able to see her need for our Savior.

As I listened to her tell me this story in Chinglish, as she calls it, I was struck by the simple honesty of her words. She lacks the sophisticated vocabulary that we native English speakers often hide behind in the guise of expressing ourselves eloquently. She told me how her "heart hurt inside of her" and how when she was unforgiven, she felt like she was "carrying something very heavy on her shoulders". She also spoke of how she had thought that others were "very bad" and then she realized that she was "very bad too". When it came time for a response from me, I tried to express myself in my normal manner. I quickly saw that simple honesty was going to be required from me also. It was a very moving and humbling experience to see such emotions laid bare and to express mine with such simplicity, even if it was out of necessity.

The Lord works through so many things to bring us to a greater awareness of him and our need for him. Having our need for a savior stated so simply and boldly, once again pointed me to the cross of Christ. God used what we label a "barrier", something we see as a hinderance, to show us the power of the Cross and the peace and forgiveness that are found in its shadow. Mighty is the power of the Cross. Thank you Jesus.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger dc28 said...

Hi!

You've a great site! All the best in Macau:)

Martin
www.pretogrosso.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home